Belmont Heights is a Historic District. Other Historic Homes and Historic Districts of The City Long Beach CA, Do you know where they are?
Historic Homes and Historic Districts in the City of Long Beach, California, Long Beach Real Estate
Historic Homes and Districts in the City of Long Beach, Long Beach Real Estate
Historic Homes and Districts in the City of Long Beach
The City of Long Beach has recognized certain buildings and neighborhoods as having special architectural and historical value. The City Council designates historic landmarks, historic districts, historic places and historic objects by city ordinance.
Buildings may be eligible for landmark status if they have historic and/or architectural value and have retained their original exterior form and materials. Buildings that are high quality examples of past architectural style or that have historical associations or unusual architectural characteristics may meet the criteria for landmark designation.
Historic districts are areas containing groups of older houses that are intact and unaltered. While each building may not be individually worthy of landmark status, collectively they preserve the visual qualities and ambiance of the past. Streetscape features, such as trees or light standards, may contribute to the historic value of the district.
Belmont Heights Historic District
A neighborhood of homes developed in the first decades of the 20th Century with some Victorian homes remaining. The Craftsman Bungalow style predominates with 2/3 of the homes in the area constructed in this style.
Other historic styles are Mission Revival, Spanish Colonial Revival, Tudor Revivial, and Neo-Traditional. The peak period of construction occured from 1918 to 1923, but the period of architectual significance is from 1905 to 1939.
Bluff Park Historic District
A residential neighborhood consisting of large, stately single-family and multi-large family houses constructed between 1903 and 1949.
Located along the ocean bluffs, large two-story Craftsman Bungalows and Period Revival styles predominate.
California Heights Historic District
Approved by the City in February 1990 and expanded in 2000, the City’s largest historic district consists of approximately 1500 properties, predominantly Spanish Colonial Revival homes constructed in the late 20s. A scattering of other styles, Craftsman Bungalows and Tudor Revival, may be found, including some homes moved here from other locations.
Neo-Traditional homes built in the late 30’s and early 40’s are also included. Large mature street trees and vintage street lights enhance the neighborhood ambience.
Drake Park / Wilmore City
This district unites two previously designated districts, Drake Park and Willmore City. The former is named for Colonel Charles Drake, who was a pioneer developer of Long Beach’s Pike and beachfront resort. Willmore City is named for William Willmore, who first laid out housing tracts for Willmore City, which was later renamed Long Beach.
This neighborhood was part of Long Beach’s original 1881 city plan and contains the highest concentration of early 1900’s housing in the city, both single family and apartments. Homes here reflect Victorian, Craftsman, Mission, Prairie, Italian Renaissance and Spanish Colonial Revival styles.
Loma Vista Dr.
Irregular boundary to Nylic Court back to Magnolia to 7th St
Hellman Street Craftsman Historic District
A high concentration of Craftsman bungalows, built for middle-class working families, remains intact today in this district. Secondary “contributing” structures are Spanish Colonial Revival and Victorian.
Isaias W. Hellman, businessman, financier and real estate developer prominent in Los Angeles and Long Beach, is credited with developing this neighborhood. Hellman Street bears his name.
N. Of 9th St.
Between Orange & Walnut Ave.
Hellman St. (fr. Orange to Walnut) includ. Toledo Walk to alley
Both sides of Orange Ave. fr. 730-937
W. of Walnut Ave.
Between Hellman & 9th
Fr. 733-915 Hoffman Ave. (804-918)
Lowena Drive Historic District
An unusual cluster of four Chateauesque buildings constructed between 1919 and 1926 form a unique streetscape.
The street is named for the developer, H. N. Lowe, whose family owned a flower farm on this land from 1898.
230, 260, 280 Junipero Ave.
2202, 2220, 2230 Lowena Drive.
Rose Park Historic District
This district contains more than 500 buildings, primarily Craftsman Bungalows constructed between 1910 -1922, with many variations in architectural design evident. Also significant are the Spanish Colonial Revival homes of the Twenties and Thirties, and Neo-Traditional designs of the Forties.
East of St. Louis
Alley north of 7th St.
Coronado, and 10th St.
Sunrise Boulevard Historic District
Originally a ranch, then a milk sanitarium, this neighborhood developed adjacent to the Pacific Electric Railway line. Homes are predominantly Craftsman Bungalows, constructed between 1908-1924, ranging from large mansions to small-scale workers’ housing.
An early motor court, the El Cortez, was built in the early Twenties on the site of the sanitarium; today, it provides small apartments.
701-745 Vernon St.
804 E. Willow
Wrigley Area Historic District
Named for chewing gum magnate William S. Wrigley, Jr., developer of this two-block area, homes were built here in the Spanish Colonial Revival style between 1928 and 1934. The district has remarkable architectural consistency, unity and integrity.
2008-2191 Eucalyptus Ave.
439 W. 20th St.
417 W. 21st St
Bluff Heights Historic District
Adopted in 2004, the predominate architectural type in this district is the Craftsman Bungalow.
Intact Craftsman Bungalows constructed from approximately 1910-1923 are the single most prevalent type of home in the district.
East of Junipero Ave.
(not including Carroll Park or Lowena Dr. historic districts)
West of Redondo Ave.
South of 4th St.
North of Broadway
Brenner Place Historic District
The district contains ten small identical single-story structures on both sides of a narrow private street, culminating in two two-story structures adjacent to the alley.
Built by Mr. Steinbrenner in 1923, this group of Spanish Colonial Revival structures resembles courtyard housing. The visual unity and intimate scale create a unique charm reminiscent of a former era.
One block district located East of Alamitos Ave.
Between 7th St. & Hellman St.
Carroll Park Historic District
Curving streets lined with Craftsman Bungalows recall the horse-and-buggy era for this subdivision laid out in 1907. Landscaped islands are a unique neighborhood amenity.
Homes were constructed here between 1898 and 1923. Several old barns survive from an earlier time.
Carroll Park East
Carroll Park West
Carroll Park North
Eliot Lane Historic District
Eliot Lane is a one block historic district with small-scale homes lining a narrow street that was originally called Eliot Court. The homes were all built in 1923 by a single builder, Boland & Smith, and represent an early subdivision of modest homes at a time of booming economic growth in the City.
All the original construction remains in place today. Architecturally, the Mission Revival style predominates, and points towards the future. Some of the homes are Craftsman in style, recalling a style that was passing out of favor. The street has unusual visual unity and cohesion, providing a snapshot of Long Beach in the twenties.
Between 3rd and Colorado
St. Joseph and Argonne in Belmont Heights.
Linden Avenue Historic District
Seven structures in this district represent a rich collection of various architectural styles popular in the early 1900’s: Greek Revival, Craftsman, Victorian/Craftsman blend and American Foursquare.
These mansions and large homes were built by prominent citizens. A second phase of development is represented by the Mediterranean multifamily structure, built for working class tenants.
Alley north of Anaheim to 14th St.
8 properties: 1324 to 1357 Linden Ave.
Minerva Park Place Historic District
Minerva Park Place is a tiny street lined with sixteen Spanish Colonial Revival homes built at one time as a single project in 1925. The district’s charm and small scale is reminiscent of courtyard housing.
1045-1085 Minerva Park Place
1724 and 1746 E. 11th St.
Rose Park South Historic District
This is a continuation of the Rose Park Historic District on the south side of 7th Street. The primary architectural style in the area is the Craftsman Bungalow.
N. of 4th St.
S. of 7th St.
Cherry & Coronado/Obispo
Includes only residential homes facing the avenues.
Wilton Street Historic District
The Spanish Colonial/Mission Revival homes which create a highly unified streetscape were all built as one subdivision by a single builder in late 1924. They all share common architectural features, yet each one is individualized. The original character of the homes are remarkably intact, preserving the charm and ambience of an earlier time.
3800 – 3926 Wilton St.
Between Termino and Grand Ave.
1634 Grand and 1637 Termino Ave.
More Information on Historic Districts in The City of Long Beach:
The boundaries of the California Heights district are: Wardlow and Bixby Roads and Lime and Gardenia Avenues. This area of Long Beach was established in 1929 by Jotham W. Bixby out of agricultural lands of the Rancho Los Cerritos. Consisting of approximately 1,500 predominantly Spanish Colonial Revival homes built in the late 1920s, this is the city’s largest historic district. You can also spy a few examples of Craftsman bungalows and Tudor Revival and Neo-Traditional homes of the late 30s and early 40s. Some older homes were relocated there from downtown Long Beach during the early development.
Willmore City/Drake Park was the first historic district declared by the city. By 1978, the boundaries were Fourth Street to Twelfth Street and Loma Vista to Pacific Avenue. Willmore City, named for William Willmore, the developer of the American Colony, which was renamed Long Beach, was part of the city’s original 1881 plan and contains the highest concentration of late nineteenth and early twentieth century homes in the city. Victorian, Craftsman, Mission, Prairie, Italian Renaissance, and Spanish Colonial Revival styles are all represented. Drake Park, originally called Knoll Park in 1904 when it was annexed, was named for Colonel Charles Drake who developed the Pike and the Virginia Hotel in 1905-06.
The Carroll Park district was originally part of the Alamitos Township. The boundaries are Carroll Park East, Carroll Park West, Carroll Park North, Junipero Avenue, and Third Street. Landscaped “islands,” curving streets, several old barns, and Craftsman bungalows can be found as well as one great Mission Revival example. The curving streets were designed to keep farm wagons out of the neighborhood on their way to the downtown city market.
Bluff Park was the second historic district formed as a defense against the high rise multi- unit buildings being erected on Ocean Blvd. Its boundaries are Junipero Avenue, Loma Avenue, Ocean Boulevard, and Second Street. Large and architecturally distinctive houses were built between 1903 and 1949 along the ocean bluffs. Craftsman bungalows and Period Revival styles predominate.
The boundaries of the Wrigley District are 2008-2191 Eucalyptus Avenue, 439 W. 20th Street, and 417 W. 21st Street. It was named for chewing-gum magnate William S. Wrigley, Jr., who developed this two-block area of Spanish Colonial Revival style homes between 1928 and 1934.
Lowena Drive is a particularly picturesquedistrict that resembles a Hollywood set of the silent movie era. Its boundaries are 230, 260, and 280 Junipero Avenue and 2202, 2220, and 2230 Lowena Drive. Chateauesque structures built between 1919 and 1926 are found on this street named for developer H. N. Lowe, whose family owned a flower farm on the land in 1898.
The boundaries of the Hellman Street Craftsman District are the north side of Ninth Street between Orange and Walnut Avenues, Hellman Street from Orange Avenue to Walnut Avenue, including Toledo Walk to the alley; both sides of Orange Avenue from 730-937 Orange Avenue, west side of Walnut Avenue between Hellman Street and Ninth Street, and 733-915 Hoffman Ave. Named for Isaias W. Hellman who developed this neighborhood, the district features Victorian residences, Craftsman bungalows, and Spanish Colonial Revival homes.
Minerva Place is a very tiny district on Minerva Place between 10th and 11th Streets. Its boundaries are 1045-1085 Minerva Park Place and 1724 and 1746 E. 11th St. Sixteen Spanish Colonial Revival homes were built in 1925.
The Rose Park Historic District boundaries are the east side of St. Louis Avenue, the alley north of Seventh Street, Coronado Street, and 10th Street. Though Craftsman bungalows constructed between 1910 and 1922 dominate, Spanish Colonial Revival homes of the 20s and 30s, as well as Neo-Traditional styles of the 40s, are among this district’s more than 500 architecturally significant structures. Rose
Park South is an extension of the Rose Park district which was established later at the request of the residents. Craftsman style homes are the most common types of dwellings. The boundaries are the north side of Fourth Street, south side of Seventh Street, Cherry Avenue, and Coronado/ Obispo Avenues.
Sunrise Boulevard is a conglomerate of many period styles, including an old Bixby home moved from La Linda Place. The boundaries are 2515-2596 Lime Avenue, 2444-2588 Olive Avenue, 638-836 Sunrise Boulevard, 701-745 Vernon Street, and 804 E. Willow Street. Originally a ranch and then a dairy, this neighborhood predominantly features Craftsman bungalows built between 1908 and 1924. The El Cortez, built in the early 1920s as a “motor court,” or motel, is now an apartment complex.
Wilton Street was originally constructed for the staff at Community Hospital on Termino. The small homes have very deep lots and boast formal dining rooms. The boundaries are 3800-3926 Wilton Sreet between Termino and Grand Avenues, 1634 Grand Avenue, and 1637 Termino Avenue. The Spanish Colonial/Mission Revival homes were constructed in 1924 by a single builder.
Bluff Heights, the newest district was originally part of the Alamitos Township. The boundaries are Junipero Avenue, Redondo Avenue, Fourth Street. Many Craftsman bungalows were built between 1910 and 1923. Some unique structures include late nineteenth century farmhouses and the former home of architect Harvey Lochridge at Third and Orizaba.
Eliot Lane is another diminutive district comprised of Eliot Lane between Third Street and Colorado. A single block of small Mission Revival homes lines a very narrow street. At one time these homes were almost identical.
Brenner Place is another single builder district that is small, but significant for its style. It consists of a single block located east of Alamitos Avenue between Seventh and Hellman Streets. Ten identical single-story houses on both sides of a narrow private street and two two-story structures next to an alley create a sense of intimacy of a bygone era.
The Linden Avenue district is interesting because of its varied architectural offerings. Boundaries are the alley north of Anaheim Street to 14th Street, consisting of eight houses located at 1324 – 1357 Linden Avenue. Seven of the homes were built for prominent citizens and display Victorian, Classical Revival, Craftsman, and American Foursquare architectural styles popular in the early 1900s, while the Mediterranean multi-family structure was constructed at a later date. The district includes the Hancock Motors showroom with its wonderful Art Deco façade by Schilling and Schilling at the southeast corner of Linden and Anaheim Street.
Belmont Heights was originally a separate town until its annexation by Long Beach in 1909. The boundaries are Newport Avenue, Roswell Avenue, Fourth Street, and Seventh Street. It has a few Victorian homes, though Craftsman bungalows predominate. The historic streetscapes extend beyond the district and warrant further exploration.
Long Beach Homes and Historic Districts. If you have any questions regarding buying or selling your home please call us. Long Beach Homes For Sale: 562-533-4003
Follow us on: FaceBook: Long Beach Homes & Lifestyle Twitter: LBHomesForSale YouTube: Ricardo The Realtor